Q: How do I get on this thing?
A: Lift up one foot, then one cheek, then repeat. Seriously, click Book a Tour for full schedule, availability and ALL bookings are done online. Catch us in front of Aloft Asheville Downtown – 51 Biltmore Ave or Urban Orchard Cider Co. – 24 Buxton Ave. in the South Slope for last minuters without rez.
Q: What is the Amazing Pubcycle?
A: It’s a BYO (Beer or Wine) 13-person pedal powered trolley on wheels, with a certified Tour Driver in the driver’s seat. Perfect for reunions, work parties, birthday celebrations, bachelor/bachelorette parties, company outings, sightseeing, themed nights out; the possibilities are endless! A minimum of 6 pedalers is necessary to power the Pubcycle.
Q: Where do I start and end my Pubcycle tour?
A: All tours will start and end at either the Aloft Asheville Downtown at 51 Biltmore Ave. or Urban Orchard Cider Co. at 24 Buxton Ave. in the South Slope, depending upon which tour you book. There is parking in the garage below Aloft which is a good place to park for either tour.
Q: How do I book and pay for a tour?
Book individual seats or Book the entire bike for your group online – Click on Book a Tour and select the appropriate number of seats. Use the calendar to navigate to your date, then the select from the time slots that are available that day.
Next Page – Pick a tour type if booking the whole bike.
Next Page – Enter your name, email, phone and how you heard about us; also any important notes that you want us to know about your group, the tour, etc.
Next Page is PayPal, simply enter your credit card information, and PayPal will process the payment. You’ll receive a confirmation email upon booking, and another reminder as your event date gets closer.
Q: Should we tip our driver?
A: Absolutely! It’s how they pay rent. We know our local tour guides are some of the best in the business, and you can show your appreciation for their talent with good old fashioned American cash after they show you a great time around town.
Q: Cost, details and Tandem Tours:
A: There are 10 pedal seats and room for 3 non-pedalers on the bench seat. If you are pedaling, wear comfy pants/shorts (do not wear white), and comfy shoes or sandles (flip-flops are not the best idea). For safety, all cell phones must be stored in our on-board cubbies while the Pubcycle is in motion. Bring gloves and hats for the winter months!
The 1 1/2 hour Pubcycle Full tours are $25 per person, and make 2 15-20 min stops. Nomad Tours are 40-45 minutes, non-stop fun, and are only $15 per seat!
- Tandem tours are 1.5 hour pub tours only with ONE pub stop (about 20-30 minutes).
- All Riders MUST have waivers printed and signed before embarking.
- All Riders must bring photo ID.
- All tandem tours pick up and drop off at the Aloft Hotel
- All riders must arrive 10 minutes early to make sure the ride can leave on time. If your group is significantly delayed, we cannot guarantee full time due to our tour schedule.
- When booking, please add “Tandem Tour for (Last Name) Event” to the notes section of each booking.
- Please send us an e-mail about your Tandem Tour if you have any special concerns or questions so we can better serve you.
Q: Are we able to hop on when we see a Pubcycle driving by?
A: No way, the Pubcycles are not taxis. Tours always start and stop at the Aloft Hotel or Urban Orchard Cider Co.; this is of our agreement with the City of Asheville.
Q: What food and drinks can I bring on the Pubcycle?
A: The Amazing Pubcycle is BYOB, Beer and wine are allowed, but NO hard alcohol or kegs are permitted, and NO opened containers. Cans are the preferred container but if you have to bring glass we’ll provide solo cups for you to pour it into. Boxed wine is a good option, as well!
Food is not recommended. A good size camping cooler is on board, but feel free to bring your own if you’re bringing a lot. Alcoholic beverages must remain on board at all times. Use common sense; you can’t get off the bike with your open beverage – it’s against the law!
Q: Age and other Restrictions for Riders?
A: For safety reasons the minimum age is 12 years, no riders under the age of 12 are allowed onboard. All riders must show a valid State ID to prove legal drinking age. There’s no maximum age limit. The seat heights are adjustable, however, riders who are under 4′-8” may not reach the pedals on the bike and can sit on the rear bench seat, that seats 3. There is a maximum weight limit of 300 pounds per person for pedaling Pubcyclers.
Q: We have a small group of less than 6, can we still go?
A: Of course. Book individual tickets for the tour and we will attempt to build a larger group. In the unlikely event that we cannot get more riders on your tour (at least 4 or 5), we may have to reschedule it for another time or day, or refund you.
Q: What are the hours of Pubcycle operation?
A: Tours during the week start at 4 or 5pm, and run until about 10pm. On the weekends, noon till 11-ish is our window. There’s a small gap between each tour to assure we have enough time to off-board one group, prepare/charge the bike, and on-board the next.
Q: Is the Pubcycle Safe?
A: The Pubcycles roll at about 6mph, with all of the safety equipment required to make it licensed by the NC DMV, and is built using an automotive braking system and drive train. Although the Pubcycle and its drivers are safe, riders and 3rd party carelessness is not tolerated.
Your driver will tell you everything you need to know to be safe. We take measures to make sure each ride is a safe and fun experience for everyone. The important thing is that you hold onto the handlebar, just like you would your bike!
Q: WHAT’S WITH ALL THE RULES?
A: City Ordinance requirements hold us to a standard. Your Tour Driver will go over the rules and behavior expectations at the beginning of your tour. Most of these are outlined on the waiver. If you act in a dangerous or unruly manner, you may be asked to leave. If we do not conduct business that satisfies the City and Police Department, we put our Ordinance and City License at risk, please help us to be good stewards.
- No drinking from glass containers on the bike. Growlers and wine bottles are allowed, but must be poured into a cup and stored in the ice chest.
- Your Tour Driver IS THE BOSS, so please listen to them.
- There can be no moving around, leaving or jumping off the Pubcycle while in motion. Planned and announced stops only.
- Respect our streets and our town, so no littering, nudity, excess noise or general debauchery please.
- A trained Pubcycle employee is the only individual who can drive the bike.
- Pubcycle employees are not allowed to sell or serve your beer or wine. BYO & SYO (serve your own) only.
- ID’s are checked at time of departure, only 21 years of age or older may drink beer or wine on the Pubcycle.
- Waiver – please see that everyone in your group signs the waiver electronically from our website prior to the tour starting.
- At all times, the driver reserves the right to expel any and all careless or highly intoxicated riders.
- If a rider(s) is asked to leave the tour, the rider(s) will be responsible for finding their own way home, and no refund will be given.
Our ultimate goal is to help you to have a great time!
Q: WHY DO WE NEED TO SIGN A WAIVER?
A: Just like riding any bike, riding the Pubcycle can be potentially dangerous. We can offer bike helmets for your safety if you wish (please email us your request as there’s not enough room to keep them stored on-board). You don’t have to wear one – that’s up to you. We take all the necessary safety precautions; you take responsibility if you get hurt. Here is a link to the downloaded waiver.
1. Tipping bartenders is highly encouraged, thank you!
2. We try to go to places that you can get in and out of easily, that are easy to get drinks and accommodating, and we can park easily.
3. They are trying to serve many of you all at once – PLUS their regular customers. Please be patient!
4. If possible, order PITCHERS! Easier, and faster for the bartender and wait staff.
5. If not ordering pitchers, write a list of all drinks desired, and have ONE person give the list to the bartender.
6. Have ONE person pay for your entire order, with CASH, if possible. (13 credit cards take a LONG time to process!)
7. TIP YOUR WAIT-STAFF! (15-20% is customary.) Leave a couple bucks even if you’re only using the bathroom.
Q: What is the cancellation policy?
A: If you booked a tour, and need to change, cancel or reschedule please let us know as soon as possible by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The following cancellation policy applies to all reservations.
For all tours, we have a no refund policy but will offer to reschedule your booking or give you a voucher that’s good for up to 1 year. Reschedules will not be offered to groups that do not show up on the day and time of their tour. Refunds are only issued if WE have to cancel a tour due to extreme weather as stated by the National Weather Service, do not have enough people for a tour, or for any unforeseen circumstance that may arise the day of the tour.
To cancel or reschedule your tour, simply email us at email@example.com with your reservations name, the date and time of the tour, and the reschedule date and time. If you don’t know when you’d like to reschedule, we’ll give you a voucher code good for 1 year.
Q: Isn’t it hard to pedal?
A: It’s not as bad as you would imagine, and not as easy either. The motor assist takes the ‘treacherous’ out of Asheville’s hills. Pedaling the Pubcycle is a blast and all those burnt calories are an extra bonus!
Q: The weather is less than ideal, and I scheduled my ride for today. Can I still pedal?
A: The Pubcycle runs rain or shine! We all know how unpredictable Asheville’s weather can be, so make sure you dress accordingly, it’s quite possibly more fun in the rain, and we do have rain curtains just in case. The Pubcycle has ponchos onboard if you need em. If weather becomes dangerous, as in thunder & lightning; Pubcycle reserves the right to cancel the ride and offer a reschedule or refund.